Friday, November 28, 2008

CO-SLEEPING


Many BaBs mothers and babies co-sleep, with various arrangements that have evolved for sharing the family bed at night time.

I would love to hear from others about their experiences. Please add your thoughts as comments, or email me joy@aitex.com.au

The science of attachment parenting was in its infancy when I was a new mother, and it wasn't until our fourth child, Josh, (who worked out what was important very early in his life) deemed it necessary to have access to mummy's breast several times through the night that we learnt how to share our bed with him. The first three children had all been sleeping in their own beds through the night from six weeks of age, and growing like weeds, and perhaps snuggling in with us around dawn. This happened without any input or skill on my part, other than feeding them when they were hungry. In my experience, co-sleeping was a skill that I didn't learn until I needed it.

BaBs has received generous sponsorship from a business called 'Sweet Dreams', that produces My little bed. (hence the picture of the box) The owner of 'Sweet Dreams' asked me to endorse the product a couple of years ago. I agreed, with the condition that the money be paid to a charity that benefits mothers and babies, rather than accepting the money personally. In this way I have been pleased to direct the money to BaBs.

The statement on the box is that "New mothers, who learn to sleep close to their babies, are able to respond to them, breast feed comfortably, and return to sleep without difficulty. My little bed could help parents adjust to co-sleeping with their babies."

I want to emphasise the thought that we learn so much in the early days of becoming a mother - especially the first time. The development of lifelong attachments between a mother and child starts with the babe in the womb, and continues through infancy. A mother who is supported in learning to nourish and nurture her baby, especially in the first days, finds her own way safely through a complex and often challenging set of adjustments. The father is also making huge adjustments. Perhaps a modified 3-sided box, such as My little bed will give some parents the confidence to try co-sleeping.

Readers who are interested in knowing more about co-sleeping could visit Wikipedia, and some interesting discussion attached. The article lists "co-sleeping infant enclosures which are placed directly in the adult bed" under 'Products' [We are a consumer society, after all], along with one that I had a little chuckle about "bed top co-sleeping products designed to prevent baby from rolling off the adult bed and to absorb breastmilk and other night time leaks"!

In posting this information I would like to thank 'Sweet Dreams' for its sponsorship of BaBs, and wish all mothers and babies "sweet dreams". Joy

No comments: